Monday, July 23, 2012

Interview with Patricia Singleton Cyrus Webb of Conversations Live! Radio on BlogTalkRadio


"The Patricia Singleton Story" Update



http://www.blogtalkradio.com/conversationslive/2010/04/29/cyrus-webb-presents-the-patricia-singleton-story-o

Patricia Singleton was nice enough to send me a thank you note for visiting her blog.

http://patriciasingleton.blogspot.com/

In the interview she says she had asked her mother if she had been molested as a child and her mother stated that she had not.  Patricia did not believe her mother as her mother had too many characteristics of an abused survivor.

Many years ago I was visiting my fathers sister the former nun in Milwaukee.  I always liked music and I was changing the station to hear some classic songs from the 50's and 60's with singers like Rosemary Clooney and Frank Sinatra.  My aunt became very agitated and would turn the station back to what she always listened to which I believe was the same kind of music but only in orchestra, no singing.

If you have seen this blog before you may have read that I did try for 20 years to speak to my aunt about incest and child sexual abuse and there was absolutely no way she would speak of it or address it in any way.   This was a nun, this was a former teacher.  I asked her repeatedly if there was ever a time that a student came to her as she was a trusted adult to confide to her that they had been sexually molested.  I asked her if as a nun that any person boy or girl sought shelter because of any violation.
I asked my aunt if there as any training that nuns or teachers went through to be able to deal with this kind of situation if it would occur.  She would not answer my questions.

There is no doubt that my aunt was sexually molested.   I had two aunts that went into the convent at very early ages.  One was 12 years old and the older sister was 13 years old.  The 13 year old thought she had a calling.   That part may be true.  The older sister was a nun for many many years and actually wanted to have her own church.  She always said, "I can't have my own church because I got the wrong plumbing!"  The aunt who was 12 I think just had a means of escape.

It does not make sense to me at all that a teacher and former nun would not do anything about this unless she had her own deep seated issues that were not dealt with and from what I can see will probably never be dealt with.  I am sad for her but more frightened for the future of my paternal side of the family.

I believe there will be more generations of molestation until someone might have the backbone to step forward as I have.  I hope that they will have a more supportive response than what has happened to me.

To date my aunt and uncle have not responded to my letter.

I am thinking of reaching out to their priest in their hometown.

Please check out Patricia Singleton's blog.  There are many survivors blogs I turn to for words of comfort.  I appreciate each and every one of them.  

http://patriciasingleton.blogspot.com/



















No comments: