Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Gabriel Garcia Marquez Quote


“She discovered with great delight that one does not love one's children just because they are one's children but because of the friendship formed while raising them.”

― Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez, Love in the Time of Cholera


A friend just posted this on her Facebook page. It is a beautiful quote. When I read this I think of what a difficult situation when a child does not build any kind of relationship with their mother due to surviving incest. The house was poisoned and I did not trust a friendship with my mother.

I also noticed a lack of missing my mother when a mechanic friend of mine was working on my car and mentioned he missed his mother who had died a week prior.  I really did not have a safe place to have built a relationship with my mother.  We all need surrogate mothers and fathers if we do not have what we need in our infancy and youth.  The trick is to always Be there for others if and when they are there for you and Do Not Cling!  Learn the appropriate boundaries'! 

If you are a survivor of sexual abuse and dealing with dissociation, this just adds another twist to the recovery. 

 

No comments: