Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Dancing With Daddy/Not My Story

The latest biography of incest I have read is called, "Dancing With Daddy". I believe I am reading every biography I can find about this subject to kind of do a self study. I have for a long time thought that the majority of survivors remember in their mid to late twenties. I guess I have to search out the recent statistics regarding peoples memories. A friend who has been studying psychology with a focus on sexual abuse survivors has told me that that is not always the case. I do remember I met a friend of a friend who remembered into her mid fifties that her brother had sexually molested her. The mind finds a way to protect us. We remember when it is time to remember when we are more able to cope with the traumatic memories.

Betsy Petersen remembered her father molesting her later in life. Her father/molester had already died. Her mother believed her when she told of the sexual molestation and there was joint counseling. It is a very sad and interesting story and I must say that
Miss Petersen really has a beautiful style of writing. Each story that I read is vastly different. I personally have been told that what I remember is from some article I have read and I must have just transposed myself into the story, to draw attention to myself.
Those things only happen when a divorced mother has a boyfriend who molests her child.....etc.

While there are some components to some stories that are similar to my own survival, I have not transposed anything of any other story to my own story. I have no need to. It's not my story.

No comments: